Thursday, April 2, 2009

Kanazawa, Takayama and Shirakawa go

Oh wow, long time with no posts. Well instead of going to Fukuoka we went up to Kanazawa and saw the gardens up there. We visited Kanazawa Castle and Kenroken Garden on the first day, but then Mike had to head back to Tokyo because his JR pass was about to expire. I spent the next day in Kanazawa, saw the samurai district then headed to Takayama the next morning. Takayama is in the Gifu prefecture, pretty much central japan - in the mountains. It was very beautiful, water/streams everywhere and lots of old buildings. Takayama has a very nice "Old town", so I wandered through there for a while, then went to figure out the bus schedual and lodging info for Shirakawa go, my next stop. I left Takayama in the morning, and arrived in Shirakawa go around noon. The town is a village of old farm houses "Gassho Zuriki", steep grass thatched roofs. I walked to the observation point after checking in, then wandered around until about 5, then went back for supper. We had a very traditional japanese dinner, then I went to the local Onsen for a soak. In the morning we had a japanese style breakfast, then caught the bus back to Takayama and the train to Nagoya. I didn't do much in Nagoya, just went to an internet cafe to figure out lodging again and then checked in at a business hotel. I went to the Outback steakhouse for dinner... very good, very not japanese. I got up at 9 and caught the train to Beppu - a hotspring town in Kyushu (island south of the main island, Honshu). I'm staying at a youth hostel here - plan to go see if I can see a volcano tomorrow (the whole island is riddled with them).

Anyway - pictures from the last few days are Here, here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment